Wenchi Methodist Hospital, Ghana
Contact: Mr Bernard Botwe (Administrator)
This important district hospital was established in 1951 by the local community and handed over to the Methodist Church in 1952. The then Methodist Superintendent Minister was Rev. John Dixon, an Irish missionary. It serves as the district referral centre for twenty public and private health centres with a population of 173,000 people, mostly engaged in farming. The facility cares for people most commonly suffering from malaria, malnutrition, pneumonia, hepatitis, tropical ulcers, typhoid fever, pregnancy complications, schistosomiasis, hypertension and anaemia. WDR has had a long relationship with the hospital (as has Irish Methodism in general). The current focus is the rehabilitation of the Reproductive and Child Health Unit. The most recent monitoring and evaluation visit was in April 2016.